The Surgery High Street Moffat DG10 9JP
Opening Hours

Mon: 8am – 6pm
Tue: 8am – 6pm
Wed: 8am – 6pm
Thur: 8am – 6pm
Fri: 8am – 6pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed

Close Menu

Minor Ailments

Many minor ailments can be treated with medicines available over the counter. Help us help you.

Home » Minor Ailments

Many minor ailments such as coughs and colds can be treated with medicines available at your local pharmacy or the supermarket. We also have a number of different Health Care Professionals at the surgery who are able to help you.

If you can give the receptionist an idea of what is wrong we will try to direct you to the best person to help you.

Pharmacy First

We are encouraging patients to visit our community pharmacy before making an appointment to see the GP and before accessing Out of Hours services. In particular, over weekends and bank holidays think Pharmacy First for:

Minor Ailments

Anyone can go to their pharmacy for advice and treatment for minor ailments. The Minor Ailment Service (MAS) is an NHS service for children, people aged 60 or over, people who hold a medical exemption certificate and people on certain benefits. When registered for this Service, the pharmacist can provide certain treatments free of charge if they think you need it for:

Skin conditions e.g. acne, athlete’s foot, cold sores, eczema, warts/verrucae
Minor illness e.g. coughs, colds and sore throats, diarrhoea, constipation, earache, headache, indigestion, pain
Others including allergies, haemorrhoids, head lice, thrush, threadworms

Urinary Tract Infections

Pharmacists can now provide free advice and/or treatment for uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections in women aged 16 – 64 years experiencing the following symptoms:

Burning or stinging sensation on passing urine,
Needing to pass urine frequently and/or urgently
Passing excessive or large quantities of urine

Your pharmacist will ask about your symptoms to give you the right advice. There are some conditions which can prevent your pharmacist from treating you and you may need to be referred to a doctor.

Urgent Supply of Medicines

Have you run out of your prescribed medicines and your surgery is closed or a GP is not available? The pharmacy may be able to provide you with an urgent supply of your repeat medicines. Some exclusions do apply so speak to your pharmacist for advice.

Make sure you think Pharmacy First and ask at your pharmacy for information on the full range of services that they can provide.


Keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you treat many minor ailments. Colds, coughs, indigestion and many other minor complaints can all be treated with medicines that are available over the counter.

Your pharmacist can advise on what you might find useful to keep in your medicine cabinet. Always follow the instructions on the medicine label and consult your doctor if the illness continues or becomes more severe.

Self Help guides are available from the NHS Inform website.

Accident & Emergency (A&E)

Our nearest Accident & Emergency is at Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary, Cargenbridge, Dumfries DG2 8RX, Tel: 01387 246246.  You should visit A&E or call 999 for emergencies, such as:

loss of consciousness
acute confused state
persistent, severe chest pain, or
breathing difficulties.

If you’re injured or seriously ill, you should go, or be taken, to A&E. If an ambulance is needed you can call 999, the emergency phone number in Scotland.

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

If you are unwell for longer than seven days you will need to see a doctor and they should be able to supply you with a sick line.

If you have been in hospital the Doctor at the hospital should provide you with a sick line for the length of your stay.

This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy